Short Note on Larynx
- Is a structure which produces voice; situated at the neck.
- Extends from the root of the tongue and the hyoid bone to the trachea.
- In front of the laryngopharynx at the
level of C 3,4,5,6,
- Larger in the male Adam's apple.
Thyroid cartilage :
- most prominent, two flat pieces of
or laminae fused anteriorly,
- upper border :
- two processes projecting up and down
- upper part covered with
and lower part with
ciliated columnar epithelium
- Gives attachment to many muscles at the outer surface.
The cricoid cartilage:
- below the thyroid cartilage
- encircles the larynx
- Articulates with the arytenoid cartilages above and with the inferior cornu of the thyroid cartilage below.
- Lined with ciliated colunar epithelium
- muscles and ligaments atached to its outer surface.
- Lower border of cricoid is the end of upper respiratory tract.
The arytenoid cartilages :
- pyramid shaped
- hyaline cartilage
- Forms part of posterior wall
- Give attachment to the vocal cords and to muscles and are lined with ciliatd columnar epithelium.
- Leaf -shaped
- fibroelastic cartilage
- attached to thyroid cartilage immediately below the thyroid notch.
Superior and inferior laryngeal arteries
Drained by the
, which join the
internal jugular vein
Superior and recurrent laryngeal nerves
Sympathetic supply from
superior cervical ganglia
Interior of the larynx
- pale folds of mucous membrane with cord-like free edges
Extend from thyroid prominence to the arytenoid cartilages posteriorly.
Vibration of the cords produce voice.
Function of larynx
Production of voice
pitch, volume and resonance.
: voice produced by the larynx modified by tongue, cheeks and lips.
of the lower respiratory tract
way for air
, filtering and warming the air that enters the lungs.
Superiorly- the hyoid bone, root of tongue
Inferiorly - trachea
Anteriorly - muscles attached to the hyoid bone and the muscles ofhe neck
Posteriorly - the laryngopharynx and the 3rd to 6th cervical vertebrae.
Laterally - thyroid gland.
site search engine by freefind
page view counter